Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Why Track Reviews?

You might have noticed in doing the reviews on this site I'm spending a lot of time on each disc, breaking it down track by track.

This is different than most reviews I've read, which give a summary of the disc as well as a few bullet points.

I think this method of reviewing was fine 10 years ago, maybe even 5 but I don't think it's very useful today.

The simple truth is, with the rise of Napster, Yahoo Music, Itunes and similar services as many people buy music in individual tracks as buy CDs, maybe more.

For this reason I'll mention each track individually and give you a sense of that track as an individual piece of music whenever possible. It might be that I have nothing to say about a track or two, but I'll always try to at least touch on a track.

It may be that you want to listen to a track or two (or perhaps preview it on Napster Lite) or look for a preview of a certain track on Amazon or even the band's official site to get a better sense of the band or the album in question.

Since *I* buy music like this, I want to help others who read the current style of reviews today and ask "but where would I start to get a sense if I agree with you about this album".

Chuck

No comments: